Change in Licensing Legislation for Houses in Multiple Occupation

On 25 September 2018, Mole Valley District Council's (MVDC) Cabinet will consider a report concerning the change to Houses in Multiple Occupation legislation that comes into effect from 1 October 2018, and which also recommends the approval of a revised fit-for-purpose licence fee scheme.

A change to the existing Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) legislation by Government comes into effect across the country from 1 October 2018. Under the Housing Act 2004, a licensable HMO is defined as a property of three or more storeys that is rented by five or more occupants, consisting of two or more households*, and who share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities. Currently, there are only two properties in the district that fulfil these criteria and require a HMO licence from Mole Valley District Council (MVDC).  

From October, any rented property on one, two, or three or more floors that meets the HMO criteria in terms of number of occupants, households and facilities, will need to be licensed by MVDC. The change means that some landlords and managers in Mole Valley previously not needing a licence, will need to apply for one under the new legislation.

If you are a landlord or manager affected by this change in legislation and need to apply for a licence before 1 October 2018, please email or call 01306 885001. More information is available by visiting

It is also proposed that MVDC brings its licence fee for HMOs in-line with other Surrey District and Borough authorities.    

Councillor Patricia Wiltshire, Cabinet Member for Environment, said: "If you are a landlord or manager of one or more properties, it is really important that you are aware of the change coming on 1 October. If your property is being rented by five or more people, perhaps in a house-share, don't get caught out.  Make sure you contact us for more information and purchase a license, if necessary."


*a single person, family or cohabiting couple

Last Updated: 19/09/2018

Printer Friendly Version

Anything wrong with this page?

Help us improve

For general enquiries use Report it, Apply for it or Contact Us