Accidents at Work

If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of a work premises, you are legally required to report certain work-related accidents, diseases or dangerous occurrences without delay.

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), places a legal duty on:

  • employers
  • the self-employed
  • those in control of premises to notify and report some work related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Central Incident Centre

What should be reported

  • deaths
  • major injuries
  • seven day injuries (where an employee or self employed person is away from work or is unable to work for more than seven consecutive days)
  • injuries to members of the public or people not at work, where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital  

The regulations also require you to report:

  • dangerous occurrences
  • occupational diseases 

How to make a report

Full details of what you are required to report are available on the Health and Safety Executive website where you can report all incidents online. 

A telephone service for reporting fatal and major injuries only is available on 0845 300 9923 (Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 5pm).

Reporting seven day injuries

You need only report injuries resulting in more than seven days incapacitation (not including the day on which the accident happened). Incapacitation means that an employee is unable to carry out work they would be expected to do as part of their normal job.

The deadline to report more than a seven day injury must be within 15 days from the day of the accident. Employers must still keep a record of all 'over three day injuries' within their own accident books. Guidance outlining this is available to download from the Health and Safety Executive website.